Viral or bacterial pharyngitis: Definition, Symptoms, Treatment
Angina is an inflammation of the tonsils and pharynx.
The sore throat is an inflammation of the tonsils and pharynx. It is characterized by a sore throat and difficulty swallowing.
This disease can be caused by a virus or a bacterium.
In general, the mere angina is a benign pathology and reaches the most commonly children.
Treatment should be carefully monitored to avoid adverse developments (local or general extension).
The causes of angina are nombeuses.
In 60-90% of cases, viruses (adenovirus, respiratory syncytial virus …) are the most common cause of angina; in 10-40% of cases, it is the bacteria (beta hemolytic streptococcus group A).
Renal complications of rheumatic fever and up to the heart may follow a sore throat caused by streptococcus.
Angina can be a sign of a more serious disease (diphtheria, infectious mononucleosis, syphilis …)
Poor oral hygiene is a risk factor for the so-called Vincent angina associated with a particular bacterium and at risk of serious complications.
According to viral or bacterial angina, the symptoms change.
The most common are:
– difficulty in swallowing, sore throat;
– sensitive or painful lymph nodes in the neck with difficulty swallowing
– red tonsils, swollen, and sometimes with a whitish substance
– pain at the ears
– a fever
Other signs may exist. For example:
– runny nose;
– a conjunctivitis
– a hoarse voice
– difficulty breathing;
– a rash
– abdominal pain…
In order not to miss a severe form of angina and implement appropriate treatment, it is essential to consult a doctor.
It is difficult to prevent angina simple. However, it is recommended not to stay in touch with a person who already has.
Prevention of complications is, however, absolutely essential. For a total change and therefore a good cure, it is essential to go to the end of antibiotic treatment prescribed if the cause is bacterial.
Specific preventive measures to be taken in some angina forms
– to prevent possible contagion, the sick should remain at home, especially children in communities;
– to avoid contamination by saliva, it should not exchange its covered;
– it is necessary to wash your hands regularly
– it is essential to follow a good oral hygiene (angina Vincent)
– it is recommended to have protected sex (syphilis)…
The preventive removal of tonsil s is controversial.
ANALYSES – REVIEWS
During the medical examination, the practitioner observes the throat. He can see the condition of the tonsils:
– red (red throat)
– dotted with white dots (tonsillitis or erythematous pultaceous)
– covered with a whitish coating or ulceration or membranous appearance. Phlegmons (inflammation of the tissue) or abscesses are also possible.
The rapid diagnostic test (RDT) practiced by the doctor (removal of the throat with a swab) to determine whether angina is caused by a virus or group A streptococcus and avoid prescription unjustified antibiotics. Indeed, antibiotics act only in bacterial infections.
Normally the viral angina regular heals itself. However, to relieve symptoms, it is useful to:
– suck ice to soothe the pain
– fight fever if it exceeds 38.5 ° C
– see the doctor because angina is caused by a streptococcus serious it may have further repercussions on the health of the child: arthritis, kidney damage
– take paracetamol or aspirin gargle.
Drugs called analgesics and antipyretics paracetamol (calming pain and fever) may be prescribed.
When to bacterial single group A streptococcal pharyngitis, antibiotics are administered for 4-10 days. In case of complications, it is extended. To prevent recurrence or complication, antibiotic treatment should not be stopped even when the symptoms and pain disappear. Three weeks after the end of treatment, a urinalysis is performed to detect possible kidney damage.
If angina is caused by an infection like mononucleosis or syphilis, treatment is tailored to the pathology.
A surgeon may need to incise an abscess or cellulitis, frequent complications of angina.
A tonsils (and adenoids in children) may be recommended during of repeated tonsillitis or if the tonsils are enlarged.
Homeopathy, aromatherapy and herbal medicine can be effective in relieving symptoms of angina.
While waiting to see a doctor or in addition, it is possible to:
– sore throat white spots or sore throat violent: Mercuriussolubilis 9 CH 3 pellets 3 times a day
– bright red throat : Belladonna and Mercuriussolubilis 9 CH 9 CH 3 pellets 3 times a day
– with angina pain radiating to the ears or neck: Phytolacca 9 CH 3 pellets 3 times a day
– angina dew with translucent and swollen mucosa: Apis 9 CH 3 pellets 3 times per day
– if only the amygdala left is reached: Lachesis 9 CH 3 pellets 3 times a day, and if the right amygdala is reached, add: Lycopodium 9 CH 3 pellets 3 times per day.
The symptoms of angina can be relieved with herbal medicine, take in a cup of hot water extracts of fresh plants and cypress echinacea in equal quantity, 1 teaspoon 3 times per day.
Aromatherapy can be used in angina:
– put 2 drops under the tongue of essential oil of tea tree 4 times daily for 3 days
– make inhalations with essential oil ravensare.
Attention restrictions exist for children under 6 years and pregnant women. Carefully read the precautions of any essential oil before use.