Cross allergies explode!
It starts with itchy eyes, runny nose because of those pesky pollens … And it can lead to angioedema munching an apple. Some food associations and respiratory allergens are particularly daunting.
Two percent of the populations are already involved in cross between food allergies and respiratory allergens. Indoor and outdoor pollution, introduction of exotic allergenic foods, global warming … are the main reasons put forward to explain this phenomenon. Scientists also suggest that certain food additives are not totally innocent. The allergens, these are all the particles that we breathe and trigger in some people, an allergic process. An individual with allergy (s) Respiratory (s) is three times more susceptible to food allergies than the rest of the population.
SURPRISING ASSOCIATIONS ALLERGENS
Why, because allergy is a crisis of paranoia immune system. When it spotted what he believes, wrongly, a threat (the allergen) he can “think” recognize the other substances. And sometimes he alone is able to see the relationship between allergens such as pollen or dander other mites, and foods that do not belong to the same botanical family or animal. Thus a person allergic to dust mites may end up with swollen throat eating oysters!
THE MOST COMMON CROSS-ALLERGIES
– Respiratory allergy to birch, alder, hazel (pollen from January to April): apple, pear, plum, nectarine, apricot, cherry, peach, hazelnut, walnut, almond, tomato, carrot, celery, mango, cassis, anise, mint curry, avocado, fennel, kiwi, lychee.
– Respiratory allergy to mugwort (pollen July-August): garlic, celery, carrot, fennel, artichoke, pumpkin, pepper, peach, onion, anise, chamomile, pepper, paprika, bay leaf, mustard, dill, parsley, coriander , cumin seeds, sunflower.
– Respiratory allergy to dust mites / cockroaches: oysters, shrimp, squid, snails.
– Respiratory Allergy pen: eggs.
– Respiratory allergy to horsehair: horse meat.
– Respiratory allergy to cat dander: pork.
THE CASE OF RAGWEED
Ambrosia is an herb that has appeared there 40 years in the Lyon region, along the railroad tracks. In recent years, it has colonized all areas to abandon the Rhone valley and is now attacking the gardens and fields of sunflowers. The colonizing power is such that it is conquering the whole of France.
In eradication of this plant highly allergenic campaigns fail to curb its rapid expansion. Pollen carried by the wind, can travel 150 kilometers. That triggers allergic reactions are often very severe. For several years there has been cross between ragweed and some food reaction(s) such as banana, melon or watermelon.