Respiratory allergies: Are they everywhere, even my home is it polluted?
Chemical pollutants, dust mites, cat hair and even radon, it is difficult to escape the pollution of its interior. For people sensitive to the respiratory level detection kits available over the counter.
We often forget that indoor air pollution is as much, if not more, than the outside air. If you are allergic, you have any interest in making a precise diagnosis of your home.
EVALUATE THE PRESENCE OF ALLERGENS IN THE INTERIOR
Molds thrive in warm, moist places. Some emit highly allergenic spores.Hair of cats and dogs are concentrated in dust and stick to clothes. They persist long in homes, even in the absence of animal. As for mites, found these insects also responsible to allergies, bedding, stuffed toys or carpets.
Why measure allergens? “30% of people born after 1980 are allergic,” said Dr. Frederick Blay, pulmonologist at the University Hospital of Strasbourg. The presence of many allergens at home the more awareness and increases their risk of developing asthma.
How to get rid of allergens? Ventilate ideally 15 minutes twice a day and avoid overheating (not more than 19 ° C) your home. Clean with diluted bleach moldy surfaces.
Which tests to choose the interior? You can turn your vacuum laboratory analysis of dust and identify the most dangerous molds.
- Acarex test: It measures the concentration of dust mites. A small capsule is located in the tip of the vacuum tube. Color reagent gives an instant response. € 18. In pharmacies.
- Quicktox: it detects the presence of two allergenic molds: stachybotrischartarum and Aspergillus Niger. A sample taken from a cotton swab is immersed in a liquid reagent. Results in 5 minutes. € 39.90. 02 85521321 (cost of a local call).
- Kit Kudzu four allergens (dust mites, allergens from cats and dogs, molds): a filter is placed on the vacuum hose. The sample is sent to the laboratory. A report is available 15 days later. € 199. At 0 800 87 32 04 (No Toll free).
MEASURE THE INSIDE OF CHEMICAL POLLUTANTS
Formaldehyde is considered the major pollutant of indoor air. This gas is emitted by tobacco smoke, as well as glues, paints or varnishes … Furniture in chipboard emit significant quantities. Another concern: volatile organic compounds (VOCs) emitted by the fragrances, air fresheners, paints and cleaning products.
Why measure chemical pollutants? Formaldehyde is irritating to eyes and lungs. It is classified as “carcinogenic to humans” by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, for high concentrations rarely encountered in the habitat.Its presence in indoor air can aggravate the symptoms of allergy or asthma. VOCs are irritants for sensitive bronchi.
How to get rid of these chemical pollutants? After unpacking new pressed wood furniture, leave it in a well-ventilated room for a few days. To remove dust, avoid aerosols and prefer damp cloth. For the decor, opt for water-based paints.
Which tests to choose the interior? Put them in priority in a freshly painted room or a child’s room.
- BioCheck formaldehyde (Drager): it evaluates the concentration of formaldehyde in the room with respect to a reference scale. Simply drill a capsule to trigger a reagent. Results in two hours. € 31.90. 02 85521321 (cost of a local call).
- Multi-formaldehyde test (Zayho) to test three capsules three parts. The results appear in a minimum time. € 29.90. For sale on the site Zayho.
- Kit Duo indoor air (Kudzu): 26 detects volatile organic compounds and eight aldehydes (including formaldehyde). The air is picked up by a small badge that must remain in place for seven days. It is then sent to the laboratory. You receive a detailed report within 15 days. € 196.
HUNT RADON IN ITS INTERIOR
Radon is a natural radioactive gas resulting from the decay of uranium in the soil of certain regions such as the Pyrenees, the Alps, Limousin, Brittany, Corsica, the Vosges, etc. It can accumulate in confined spaces. Hospital patients health law jurisdictions, passed in 2009, provided for the introduction of mandatory testing for radon in dwellings in these regions.But the implementing decree has not yet been released. This obviously does not prevent to measure yourself to better protect themselves.
Why measure is Radon? Radon is responsible each year in France from 1 200-2 900 deaths from lung cancer. “The level of radon risk is comparable to the risk of lung cancer due to passive smoking,” said Dr. Jean-Luc Godet, the Nuclear Safety Authority. Smokers combine both risk due to radon in the regions concerned and the risk due to tobacco.
How to get rid of radon? Daily ventilation its housing significantly reduced the concentration of radon in indoor air.Knowing that gas accumulates in the lower part of the housing, it can also seal cracks poorly insulated basements and the passage of pipes. Inexpensive but effective work according to experts.
Which tests to choose the interior? The measurement is performed using dosimeters, devices equipped with a sensitive film. The measure is recommended between September 15 and April 30. “If the standard is not exceeded during this period of confinement and heating of the building is that the average radon concentration over the year is acceptable,” said RoselyneAméon, radon expert at the Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety .
There should be two dosimeters housing placed in the living rooms (bedroom, living room) for two months. The device is returned to the laboratory for analysis. The result is assessed by reference to the accepted standard for public places: 400 Bq / m3.
- DPR2 radon dosimeter (Algade) u n closed system, the size of half a lemon. € 25. In 05 55 60 50 00.
- Kodalpha dosimeter (Dosirad): a small box which simply open the lid to make it work. € 26.80. In 04 75 27 53 39.